On Thursday 14th September a group of students from Years 9 & 10 were lucky enough to take part in a Health Careers workshop ran by Medical Mavericks as part of their session 3 Medical Careers.
Students were able to take part in various activities such as:
- Use the ultrasound machine to see inside their body
- Taking a digital image of the back of their eye with an iPhone retina scan
- Record and print an ECG from their heart
- Measure their lung volume with a spirometer
- Try key hole surgery on a training device used by surgeons
- Use a real needle to take fake blood from a fake arm
- Experience different eye diseases with the pathology goggles
- Take basic medical observation such as blood pressure, oxygen sats and temperatures
- Research further medical based careers and the qualifications required.
Miss Abrams said “This was a fantastic session and all students were able to get some real hands on experience and information”